Vice President, Business Dev
About the Job
THE JOB / Vice President, Business Development
We are seeking a Vice President of Business Development to join our team who will play an integral role in the success of our business, its ability to grow and gain market share; helping us take clients where they need to be so they can meet consumers where they are.
In this role, you will work in close collaboration with our CMO, North America as well as other leaders from across the agency to drive new business and revenue generation. You will research, identify, qualify and develop new from new business opportunities that build and expand the presence of Octagon and its service offerings to brand and event clients.
We're all about What's Next in sports & entertainment for our clients based on business and marketplace intelligence. For our clients, consumer behavior has completely shifted and the imperatives to win in this new dynamic are very different. We need you to understand that so you can sell our value proposition.
In order to do that, you'll need to be a thought leader across the sports and entertainment spectrum, possess exceptional communication skills, be a great relationship builder and understand how to identify and move the right opportunities to the right players.
This is an amazing opportunity for a leader that can thrive in an agency culture, someone who is a natural networker and is motivated by the challenge of forging new relationships.
*This role can also be based out of NYC or Boston
THE WORK YOU'LL DO
- Identify target organizations and key prospects with the potential to generate revenue and ensure a consistent, organized approach to prospect outreach
- Qualify prospects and develop effective proposals leading new project and retainer revenue
- Develop relationships with internal stakeholders and collaborate across the organization to identify sector white space and top prospect lists
- Drive the business development process; in some cases, leading the process and in other cases overseeing other business development staff
- Exhibit strong communications skills to effectively articulate agency value proposition to colleagues, prospects and others
- Attend national, regional and local events and conferences on behalf of Octagon and network effectively to generate leads with prospects
- Participate in networking groups, including planning and hosting Octagon-sponsored events to achieve company visibility and grow the number of leads
- Support proposal development and RFP responses pitches as needed
- Become a trusted coach and counselor on the overall business development process
- Work with agency leadership on annual new business strategy and plan
THE BIGGER TEAM YOU'LL JOIN
Where others see complexity, we see possibility.
Octagon is the global sports, entertainment and experiential marketing arm of the Interpublic Group. But if that classification doesn't do it for you, and it shouldn't, let's take it a step further.
We are what we believe. And we believe that while the world of sports and entertainment is full of opportunities and possibilities, sometimes the amount of choice can seem a little overwhelming. Even daunting.
That's where we come into play.
At Octagon we inspire brands, talent, and our people to see the world for all its potential. We then help break down the complexity and push forward so you can make your next right move.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Broad practical knowledge of sports and entertainment brand partnerships, experiential activation, creative and content production, and sponsorship measurement
- 15 years of professional experience, agency/property preferred
- Minimum of 7 years' experience in direct sales or new business development
- Successful track record of identifying, qualifying and closing new business
- Proven ability to make a professional and positive impression with senior management within potential client organization
- Excellent verbal, written, project management and presentation skills to effectively and succinctly articulate agency value proposition to prospects, colleagues and others
- Willingness to travel as needed
Octagon is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.