Snow Jr Designer
About the Job
Boardriders, Inc., is the world's leading action sports and lifestyle company that designs, produces and distributes branded apparel, footwear and accessories for Boardriders around the world. The Company's apparel and footwear brands, represent a casual lifestyle for young-minded people who are inspired by a passion for outdoor action sports. The Company's Quiksilver, Billabong, Roxy, DC Shoes, RVCA, Element, VonZipper, Xcel, Kustom and Palmers brands have authentic roots and heritage in surf, snow and skate. With approximately 10,000 team members globally, the Company's products are sold in more than 110 countries in a wide range of distribution, including surf shops, skate shops, snow shops, its proprietary Boardriders stores and other Company-owned retail stores, select department stores and through various e- commerce channels.
The Snow Junior Designer will contribute to the creation of industry leading, innovative product designs that appeal to the target consumer/demographic. The Junior Designer will lend both creative and practical support to the Global Design Director while working in conjunction with global snow product management team, to ensure line architecture, global brief and margin goals are met. The Junior Designer will support the global snow business strategies from upper management to achieve goals set for product lines, bottom line contributions, making the best decision for the brand taking into consideration all regional needs.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities are able to perform the essential functions. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
- Highly proficient in all applications relating to design (Adobe Creative Suite, Acrobat Pro, Keynote, Power point, Microsoft Office).
- Skilled sketch and 2D line artist.
- Ability to create visual presentations and assist with seasonal creative/design briefs, mood boards and trend reports.
- Educated on color theory and can provide seasonal color trend reports.
- Research current trends; crafting new product ideas.
- Able to contribute graphics, prints and seasonal trim packages.
- Comprehends garment construction and can deliver detailed and informative Tech Packs.
- Update Tech Packs, manage file handling and organize file sharing.
- Responsible for design details from cad line art to completion of Tech Packs.
- Input design data into PLM (i.e. color palette, uploading of Tech Packs, construction details, etc...).
- Participate in garment fittings and review product details to ensure product execution meets the design aesthetics as well as commercially acceptable quality standards.
- Work closely with product managers and developers to ensure the designs are executed correctly and correspond to the regional requests.
- Review all details on prototypes with product management team. Share responsibility with the product management team for final product result.
- Strong market knowledge on industry as it relates to competitors and on-snow experience and participation.
- Showroom set-up in conjunction with product management for any regional needs and/or product presentations
- Attend relevant trade shows, R&D trips, and global market travel.
- Ability to travel domestically & internationally.
- Snowboard and/or Skateboard participant a plus!
- Adhere to calendar to meet all design function due dates.
- Timely completion of Tech Packs, BOM's, color up's etc...
- Manage calendar accordingly to hit global calendar needs; meet or exceed all deadlines.
- Maintain gross profit goals by working with the Snow development team.
- Reviewing raw material and construction costs with product managers, developers and factories to keep design integrity while maintaining cost efficiencies.
- Leading with Integrity: The ability to lead in a fair and ethical manner.
- Consumer Relevance: The ability to understand and interpret how our customers think, act, buy and interact with our products and brand. The term 'customer' will apply to each of the demographically or regionally based niches we market to now or may want to market to in the future.
- Organizational Savvy: The ability to navigate organizational politics. The ability to build
- coalitions and networks which can create interdepartmental project support.
- Business Related Thinking: The ability to make essential business decisions using gut-level market knowledge supported by solid facts and analysis.
- Fostering Innovation: The ability to develop, support or sponsor the introduction of new and improved methods, products, procedures, or technologies that meet a customer need
- Communication skills: The ability to communicate in an effective manner, while exhibiting multi-cultural sensitivity.
- Conflict resolution: The ability to resolve conflict in high tension situations with positive solutions
- This position requires a University or equivalent degree and 2-3+ years of product design experience, particularly understanding snow sports and the products and market associated within.
- Strong computer skills including Word, Excel and Adobe Creative Suite required.
- The ability to present product presentations to large groups.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective relationships within a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.