Sr Event Coord, Special Events
About the Job
THE JOB / Senior Event Coordinator, Special Events
Love food? Want to continue your career in the dynamic field of special event management? We're looking for a special events coordinator to join our events team in Providence, Rhode Island. As a special events coordinator you'll play a key role in the execution of a world class Food Festival taking place in Providence. This event is part of one of Rhode Island's largest chartable event series which includes a golf tournament featuring some of the world's top professional golfers. The event has generated millions of dollars in charitable contributions for nonprofit organizations in the region that provide vital funding to a range of programs serving children and families.
You'll oversee the operations, marketing, and sponsorship fulfillment that go in to a large scale event. This festival highlights the one-of-a-kind culinary scene that Rhode Island has become known for, focused on bringing together local businesses, members of the community and families from across the state to enjoy great food and drink in lovely downtown Providence.
We are a dynamic group of professionals that run world class events around the country. Our model is to create and produce successful, sustainable events by merging sports, entertainment, culinary and arts with philanthropy in markets that recognize the importance of cultural enhancements in the development of the quality of life in its community. We first set out to understand the marketplace and, by leveraging these insights, we craft a week-long series of events that bring the sponsoring brands to life and elevate a region for years to come.
THE WORK YOU'LL DO
- Lead community outreach to recruit participant restaurants
- Create, update and manage overall operational plan of the Food Festival
- Assist with flow of show timeline, from set-up to break-down schedules
- Develop a comprehensive branding plan for event venue
- Collaborate closely with event venue staff to ensure successful execution of event
- Ensure operational fulfillment of corporate partner contracts
- Manage a 500 participant volunteer program associated with Food Festival
- Manage transition and schedules of chef guests
- Work with title sponsor to ensure brand messaging is implemented through the event
- Manage ticketing system
THE BIGGER TEAM YOU'LL JOIN
Where others see complexity, we see possibility.
Octagon is the global sports, entertainment and experiential marketing arm of the Interpublic Group. But if that classification doesn't do it for you, and it shouldn't, let's take it a step further.
We are what we believe. And we believe that while the world of sports and entertainment is full of opportunities and possibilities, sometimes the amount of choice can seem a little overwhelming. Even daunting.
That's where we come into play.
At Octagon we inspire brands, talent, and our people to see the world for all its potential. We then help break down the complexity and push forward so you can make your next right move.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelor's Degree and/or 2-3 years' experience in related field or in event operations
- You have an interest in sports, particularly golf, and event management as a long-term career
- Proven success in building positive staff and vendor relationships as well as managing "up and down"
- You have the desire to manage vendor partner relationships for a wide array of products and services
- You can provide solid examples of your ability to be a self-starter
- You're comfortable presenting plans/materials to colleagues/ clients
- You have experience managing and maintaining a budget or budgets
- Your ability to problem solve and work effectively under pressure while working as part of a team is superb
- You have excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
- Your written and verbal skills and ability to communicate clearly and professionally are flawless
- You have a deep proficiency with Microsoft Office with a particular emphasis on PowerPoint and Excel
- You consider yourself collaborative in nature with a "no job is too small" attitude
- You have the ability to lift 35 pounds
- You're a great motivator with a developed ability to manage limited-term staff and on-site support staff
- You're able to travel and work weekends/holidays as needed (approximately 25%)
Octagon is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status