Director of Software Engineering
About the Job
247Sports is a digital media enterprise focused on delivering original sports and entertainment news on a team-by-team basis to sports fans across the world through a spectrum of platforms.
As the Director of Software Engineering, leading a growing and nimble development team, you employ your deep coding and technical leadership skills in this critical role, providing architectural direction building variety of products for rabid sports fans, advanced data models, AI, business intelligence, subscription-based content, and mobile apps. This is a hands-on leadership role.
- Manage the platform development to deliver new functionalities according to the underlying business objectives
- Attract and retain top engineering talent
- Provide technical/software development leadership and architectural guidance.
- Manage internal development resources and third-party vendors through the product lifecycle from design to development, testing, release, and support
- Rebuild existing integrated systems with distributed micro-service systems
- Work closely with Product Managers and Technical Teams to understand the needs of the business and deliver world-class products to a passionate user base.
- Work in a fast-paced AGILE environment. This should be second nature (TDD, SCRUM, Kanban, etc.) with evolutionary architecture and prototyping, experience with various databases and configuration/deployment/testing solutions.
- Perform hands-on participation in team coding, developing interfaces for web applications, services, and future technology.
- Review the developers' code, provide feedback and develop team knowledge.
- Collaborate with technical and business resources, gathering and documenting requirements and formulating action plans.
- Present designs and plans to executive management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What you bring to the team:
You have -
- The ideal candidate possesses the highest level of experience in leadership, application development, software engineering, and application architecture.
- BS/MS in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years as a hands-on engineer solving hard scaling problems horizontally
- 3 years leading and building a team of engineers
- Excellence in problem-solving, strategic thinking, and working in a team-oriented environment
- Good understanding of data caching strategies and working knowledge of CDNs (Akamai, CloudFront, Fastly)
- Experience mentoring developers
- Experience developing and using web-based APIs
- Experience with open source solutions, using and deploying on cloud-based platforms
- Experience with .Net Framework, .Net Core
- Experience with ORM frameworks (Entity/Dapper)
- Experience with client-side frameworks such as React, AngularJS, and Node.js
- Deep understanding of current web technologies and trends, including Linux, RESTful APIs, Relational & NoSQL Datastores(MySQL, Redis, DynamoDB), among others.
- Experience integrating ad serving products and analytics/reporting tools into desktop and mobile experiences
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team alongside other developers contributing to the same code base library
- Experience working with both Agile and Waterfall development processes
- Very strong interpersonal skills; must be able to demonstrate an
- Ability to work well with other non-technical members of the product team
- Must successfully pass a background check
You might also have-
- A passion for sports, sports recruiting and building communities
- Good understanding of server and cloud computing technologies from providers such as AWS, GCP, and Azure
- Experience with Git/GitHub, BitBucket or similar version control systems
- Experience in building very high traffic web assets
- Any experience using Scala, Jenkins, Selenium, Python, Windows Containers