About the Job
Job DescriptionProvide vision, leadership and sound decision-making with regard to all Conference matters including fiscal affairs, personnel, strategic planning, public relations and general operations.
The Commissioner is the Chief Executive Officer of the Conference. The Commissioner will work with the Presidents, Chancellors and Athletic Directors of each member institution to create and implement initiatives and strategies designed to achieve the mission and vision of the Sun Belt Conference.
With direction from the member institutions, help create and execute a strategic plan for the Conference.
Serve as the primary spokesperson for the Conference; enhance national and regional exposure for the Conference, including television, digital and public relations initiatives.
Negotiate and manage regional and national television agreements for regular-season packages as well as conference championship events to boost revenue and exposure.
Represent the conference at the national level in a way that enhances the perception of the Conference while fighting for the interests of the Membership. Continue to improve the strong national reputation and brand of the Conference.
Execute strategies to position the conference in a favorable position as compared to its peers in light of the future of collegiate athletics.
Provide appropriate communication and guidance to various membership constituent groups, especially the Conference Presidents/Chancellors, on current events and the general pulse of the collegiate athletic environment.
In partnership with Member schools, enhance the overall student-athlete experience, to include conducting first-class events and championships as well as creating a Conference environment that supports student-athlete well-being.
Serve as the principal enforcement officer of the NCAA and Conference rules, regulations and agreements. The Commissioner has the duty and the power to inspect, to investigate, to determine violations, and to recommend penalties and sanctions against member institutions including their athletic staff members and their student-athletes for practices and conduct which violate Conference rules and regulations.
Serve as the Conference's financial officer including contracting authority while managing the budget.
Manage and lead Conference office staff who attend to the day-to-day needs of the membership, including sports administration (e.g., scheduling, officiating programs, conduct of Conference championships and meetings).
With the support of the Conference office staff, the Commissioner will hire and manage regular-season and post-season officials.
- Ability to cast a vision and mobilize support behind organizational goals.
- Strong moral character and unwavering integrity.
- Strong public relations, oral and written communication skills; the Commissioner must exhibit the ability to promote the distinctive qualities of the Conference in a proactive and professional manner.
- Ability to serve as the public face and constantly represent the brand of the Conference.
- Must possess national connections with NCAA and Conference officials.
- Ability to build genuine relationships and position the conference favorably through those relationships.
- Demonstrated experience as an effective manager and leader of an organization.
- Substantial experience in collegiate athletics administration or equivalent experience in a related field.
- Strategic planning and revenue generation experience preferred.
- Keen knowledge and understanding of NCAA football and basketball.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the rules and bylaws of the NCAA and Conference.
- Working knowledge of branding, social media, television and multimedia platforms - experience in related contract negotiations.
- Strong skills in financial management.
- Working knowledge of gender equity and diversity initiatives.
- Strong and consistent work ethic.
- A bachelor's degree is required; an advanced degree is preferred.