Director, Software Architect
About the Job
The Director, Software Architect will be a technical leader within the NFL responsible for architecting, developing and maintaining custom software solutions to support enterprise business units across the NFL (based in NY, while supporting applications in New Jersey & LA). This role will work with business relationship managers across the organization to propose and evaluate technical solutions that meet core business requirements while managing the demands of multiple projects on fast paced schedules. This role will operate as a Technical Architect Lead who will optimize and manage the use of internal and external resources as necessary and exercise best practices in the software development lifecycle. The Director will be responsible for the management of multiple medium to large sized software development efforts and will work closely with product/project managers, Business Relationship Managers, users, development staff, and senior leadership stakeholders with the aim to drive consensus on solutions for the business while adhering to internal technical and security policies and standards.
To this end, besides having a strong technical foundation, the successful candidate must possess strong people management, negotiation and communication skills.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Perform technical analysis and document technical requirements, design, and development of software
- Build frameworks that are consumed by other developers
- Evaluate technology solutions through research to select tools to solve a problem
- Establish and maintain development standards in conjunction with the other architects
- Engage with project managers, BRM's, developers and key stakeholders to asses needs, collect feedback, and feed that back into tangible solutions
- Ensure deliverables across all developers are of high quality, clearly documented and meet the guidelines set forth by operations and security
- Challenge the status quo and endeavor to raises the bar on quality and performance
- Maintain ownership over your project and provide appropriate status to leadership on progress and key decision.
- Provide thought leadership, problem solving and analytical skills to solve hard-to-solve production issues impeding the availability & performance of applications
- Convert functional specifications and design artifacts into software designs and other technical artifacts, with an emphasis on performance, security, extensibility and efficient reuse
- Conduct code reviews to ensure conformance with specifications, established methodologies, and other standards
- Provide technical support to various activities and internal infrastructure within the company and to company clients
- Work with business implementation leads to identify workflows, protocols, information gathering for new client implementations
- Work with Business Analysts in the analysis and refinement of business requirements to ensure they are sufficient to design a technical solution.
- Establish and adhere to set development plans and release dates. Oversee development of design documents and unit test plans.
- Guide the development of QA Functional Test Scripts and Performance Test Plans.
- Technical lead on multiple projects at a time with strict deadlines
- Where applicable, research and architect software solutions to meet business needs.
- Responsible for scoping, planning, executing, and monitoring the projects to keep projects on schedule, on budget, and following appropriate protocols with Technical Operations, Application Development and Service Desk teams.
- Perform strategic planning, coordination of a roadmap, development, construction, and implementation plan to address software platforms for the organization
- Lead software teams and all related projects to the development and support of technology initiatives
- Plan, lead, assign, supervise, and control activities related to software design and development.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science , or a related field with a strong technical background in software development.
- Minimum of 10 years of software development experience and 7 years of experience in leading software development teams building robust business applications.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of modern web frameworks and architecture patterns
- 7 years professional experience developing on technology platforms based in the Microsoft technology stack, including IIS, Windows Server, .NET, SQL server, SharePoint 2010/2013/Online, Azure Cloud, WCF, Team Foundation Server, Azure DevOps
- Experience with designing and developing robust, scalable web applications in the cloud (Azure or AWS preferred)
- Experience in developing applications with large sets of complex domain-specific business requirements and workflows
- Knowledge and experience in network architecture and design
- Excellent experience and knowledge in managing the complete lifecycle of enterprise software products
- Experience and knowledge in enterprise applications and familiarity of domain-specific enterprise business process in areas including finance, legal, communications, and event operations.
- In-depth knowledge of software development processes and process design. Experience with the concepts behind agile methodologies and continuous integration/deployment.
- Experience in:
- Software architecture and development
- Data modeling and database design
- Web application security
- Hardware devices including laptops, desktops, mobile, storage, encoders, video routers, monitors, fiber, routers and switches
- TCP/IP and networking
- Be able to communicate technical issues in business terms so that senior leadership can evaluate options and make sound decisions.
- Demonstrate history of successful cross-departmental collaboration within a technical environment.
- Be able to work collaboratively with local and remote team members
- Demonstrate strategic initiative and creative solution development
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized, focused, motivated, detail oriented and dedicated
- Proactive, flexible, positive team worker
- Strategic thinker with strong execution capabilities
- 25% travel due to responsibility for NJ and LA sites, technology deployment and support, meetings, events