About the Job
The Technical Designer is primarily responsible for ensuring quality fit, desired appearance, and company quality standards are met and maintained, including managing all aspects of technical garment specification development and technical fit comments. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish departmental goals.
- Effectively own by creating accurate Measurements & Patterns, maintain a product Block library for core fits in PLM, ensure product areas are maintained with cross-functional team; gather information and update all reports as necessary
- Evaluate garment to determine compliance of specs, construction and fit intent, ensure size and fit consistency across product categories
- Evaluate and make updates as needed to construction standards & guidelines for quality assurance team to adhere to.
- Price conscious approach to style setup - Review yields to optimize usage across line and minimize drop rate due to MOQ issues.
- Coordinate and lead fit sessions with Design & Developers, while providing input necessary to improve overall construction & fit of the garment
- Identify potential production, quality and costing issues while making recommendations to ensure brand integrity
- Effectively communicate fit intent, balance and construction to vendors via pattern, sketches and/or digital images
- Review standard grading prior to Bulk Release & collaborate with manager to create new grade as required to achieve Design intent and market standards
- Problem solving and decision making: ability to analyze, troubleshoot and problem solve fit and production issues
- Maintain accurate track/log of styles by season as per calendar
- 5+ years' experience in Technical-Design, patternmaking in apparel and knowledge of garment construction Strong organization, written and verbal communication skills Proficiency in Lectra, PLM, Excel & AI
- Ability to evaluate knit and woven fabrications and make pattern adjustments on the front end to achieve desired look and drape of garment.Factoring in additional properties such as shrinkage from dye & wash techniques and modifying interlinings as necessary to ensure all fabrics are working together.
- Creative thinker that will present construction alternatives to design team as needed to reduce cost while achieving the same desired effect on margin sensitive items.
- Ability to solve and assist factories with corrective actions for production problems as they arrive. Experience with a variety of product categories.
- Relationship Management: ability to build constructive and effective relationships with all cross functional partners
- Collaborative Team player with sense of urgency is a must.
- Experienced in sewing and able to create mock-ups as needed to assist design team and/or factory in desired executions.
- Technical outerwear and/or performance apparel experience is a plus.