Asst Athletic Dir Media Relations
About the Job
The San Diego State University Athletic Media Relations Office has the primary responsibility for publicity of the Athletic Department's varsity sports programs. It serves as a liaison between the Athletic Department and the media. In line with those duties, the office publishes weekly press releases, coordinates press conferences for major announcements, maintains historical records and data, maintains up-to-date photo files, maintains current team statistics, oversees department's on-line website, publishes the department's printed materials, handles staging as it relates to media needs for home athletic events, arranges interviews for athletes and department personnel with local and national media representatives, seeks to procure publicity for athletic teams, coaches, staff, and student-athletes, and prepares information contained in game-day programs.
The Assistant AD of Media Relations will be the primary contact for a variety of varsity sports as assigned by the Senior Associate Athletic Director of Communications and Media Relations. The individual will develop and manage publicity for various teams, serving as the primary contact for Men's Basketball and assigned Olympic sports. The incumbent will coordinate and prepare editorial for media guides and game programs; coordinate game press operations for assigned sports; prepare weekly news releases; coordinate photographic needs for assigned sports; maintain and update statistical records; and maintain a website for assigned programs with accurate and current information. In addition, the individual will oversee the department's media relations interns and students as well as social media efforts for the entire athletic department. This individual will also be involved with strategic planning initiatives for the department.
Knowledge of the fundamentals of public affairs and/or media relations, and/or some exposure to marketing and marketing research. This background normally is obtained through a college degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field, and up to two years of related professional or technical experience. In addition, strong written and verbal communication skills with a solid foundation in grammar, spelling, and the composition of various communication vehicles are essential to initial entry to this classification.
Preferred Qualifications and Specialized Skills
- Minimum of three years' experience in an NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics media relations office or professional sports team at a high level (e.g. MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL).
- At least one year experience as a primary contact for a revenue (men's basketball or football) sport.
- Experience overseeing the media efforts of a men's basketball team.
- Able to advise high-profile coaches and student-athletes with interview techniques and utilize the media option(s) to best highlight his/her positives.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Photoshop, and QuarkXpress, website maintenance.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends and travel.
- Master's degree.
- Extensive experience with social media platforms.
- Knowledge of statistical programs.
- Experience in building a network of members of the national media and have the ability to utilize these contacts for the benefit of the university.
- General working knowledge of applicable university infrastructure, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge and experience with NCAA rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to keep informed of Athletic Department events and to identify and capitalize on media opportunities that will promote the Athletic Department and increase positive media coverage.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a solid foundation in grammar, spelling, and the composition of various communication vehicles.
- Knowledge of the Athletics program and applicable communications techniques.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion in the completion of assignments and projects.
- Ability to project a professional attitude and appearance. Demonstration of ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships and communicate successfully with media, student-athletes, co-workers, administrators, staff, coaches, university personnel, and various community constituencies.
- Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate, and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved, prioritizing and completing projects accurately and timely, and making reliable decisions under pressure.
- Ability to apply a high degree of judgment, discretion, and initiative in coordinating activities associated with the Media Relations office.
Additional Salary Information: This is a full-time (1.0 time-base), benefits eligible, temporary position anticipated to end one year from the date of appointment, with the possibility of reappointment and/or permanency. This position is designated exempt under FLSA and is not eligible for overtime compensation. Initial review of applications will begin on November 5, 2018. To receive full consideration, apply by November 4, 2018. The position will remain open until filled. The online application should be completed in detail. Completion of the online application is required for consideration; a resume alone will not suffice.
Internal Number: 6769