Lighting Designer - Chanhassen
About the Job
We are currently looking for Lighting Designer to join our team in Chanhassen, MN. The ideal candidate will enjoy a team environment, is flexible enough to work independently when needed and able to adapt quickly to plan changes. Candidates for this role will be eager to learn and will expand their knowledge and hands on experience by challenging themselves and using the highly creative and technical resources around them.
As an Architectural Lighting Designer at Life Time, you will be responsible for applying your architectural lighting design skills and leading project teams as part of our integrated design teams to create buildings that elevate the human experience through design.
Work within our Design Group in collaboration with architects, interior designers and engineers. Prior experience in interior and exterior architectural lighting design required. The candidate requires a strong willingness to understand all aspects of architectural lighting (day lighting and artificial), both on the elemental level of spatial experience/atmosphere as well as on a technical level; including calculations and modeling. Candidate will be able to provide comprehensive assessment of project sites and safety concerns including state and local energy and building codes. In order to effectively design lighting systems for a given site, the Lighting Designer must travel to each site to assess and analyze it. During the design process, the Lighting Designer will act as a liason between the internal client, construction, engineering department, and external electrical consultants.
You will be responsible for:
- Developing concepts and strategies for lighting projects with project team members
- Lighting calculations
- Conception design through construction administration including supervision of lighting systems commissioning.
- Commercial acumen to provide input into developing and managing budgets, scope, and resourcing
- Coordination and integration of electrical lighting systems with daylight harvesting controls
- Produce effective graphic communications for internal clients and colleagues to effectively convey complex conceptual lighting design ideas.
- Report writing.
- Coordination with external, electrical contractors
- Additionally, you'll support design projects with exceptional design thinking, project imagery, design research, and project documentation.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining Life Time lighting/fixture standards and ensuring these standards are correctly implemented in all active projects in design and construction.
- Responsible for reviewing all internally and externally produced design and construction documents to ensure Life Time brand standards are upheld and accurately represented in all project.
The successful candidate will:
- Have excellent communication, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Be able to work and present ideas in a team environment as well as self-manage and self-motivate in a creative environment.
- Possess a high level of proficiency in the production of graphic communication.
- Bachelor Degree (or higher) in Architectural Lighting Design / Engineering, Architecture, Interior Design, Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Minimum of two (4) years Architectural lighting design experience. Please include a resume and portfolio of design projects when applying.
- Intermediate and demonstrated ability in the use of Microsoft Office, AGi32, AutoCAD, Revit, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Ability to do field measurements and on site verification.
- Ability to produce construction documents in Revit
- Comprehensive understanding of local and state energy and building codes.
- Familiarity with IESNA guidelines and lighting design best practices.
- Basic understanding of the practice of architecture and architectural design protocols and methods.
- Lighting Certified (LC) and/or IALD Membership
- Understanding of green methods