About the Job
The Highlight Producer will operate within the context of defined sports news program concepts, objectives and outcomes and selects the highlights for assigned sports news programs independently with regular guidance from the responsible Coordinating Producer. In addition, will develop Productions Assistants as individuals and as sports-centric teams to raise the quality of highlight creation.
- Coordinates the assigned production staff to create the entire body of work known as "highlights" for all ESPN's sports news programs
- Responsible for generating and researching highlight ideas. Leads a team of Production Assistants (PAs) to conceive of, plan and execute the production of highlights; influences the content, writing, editing style and story lines for shot sheets; recommends graphics, animation, telestration and editing; arranges game log scheduling and edit time for PAs; oversees highlights from start to finish; monitors editing to achieve the desired story line, pacing, and accuracy
- Provides continual development to Production Assistants in cutting highlights and related elements for studio-based programs
- Identifies highlights that interpret, augment and reinforce the content and concepts of sports news programs to tell the story of the game
- Acts as the final editor on all highlights to ensure accuracy and quality of content
- Works with the assignment desk in "rolling" on highlights
- In coordination with the assigned Producer, Manager - Highlights and assigned Coordinating Producer, creates highlights that augment and interpret informative and entertaining sports news programming
- Organizes and evaluates highlights for assigned sports news programs and stories; selects or participates in selecting the highlights for assigned sports news programs
- Adjusts highlights content and flow of highlights to accommodate, reinforce, interpret and support the content of assigned sports news programs
- Provides regular feedback to production assistants
- Minimum 3 years of progressively complex related studio, sports news or related production experience with an emphasis on sports news programming
- Has a working ability to interpret sports news stories and to create and assemble compelling highlights to support the concept of the story
- Has a strong mastery of the sports production processes and the ability to create compelling highlights for assigned sports news programs
- Has a strong knowledge of real-time sports productions
- Has and applies some knowledge of what highlights to use for assigned sports news programs
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and time sensitive deadlines
- Has good highlight interpretation skills related to sporting events
- Has a good appreciation of popular culture, e.g., "what's cool" and assists with defining the tastes of ESPN's viewers
- Has a good understanding of ESPN's market positioning and strategies
- Has good knowledge of sports and sports history
- Has a strong working knowledge of people supervision and the development of teams
- Working knowledge of ENPSExperience with Quantel edit systems
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor's Degree in communications, journalism, television production or related field
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That's because we're always finding new ways to interact with fans - however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we're doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.