Environ. Safety & Health Spec-America Logistics
About the Job
The Nike, Inc. Supply Chain team is the engine that propels product around the world. Supply Chain experts ensure that every year, almost a billion units of footwear, apparel and equipment arrive at the right place, at the right time. To ensure this complex job goes off without a hitch, Supply Chain teams work with a network of more than 50 distribution centers, thousands of accountants, and more than 100,000 retail stores worldwide - making the impossible happen every single day.
The Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Specialist is responsible for managing day to day safety and compliance operations for Nike Memphis Distribution Centers. The hours of operations for this position is Monday - Friday/8:00am - 5:00pm. The EHS specialist is responsible for implementing EH&S programs to provide a safe and compliant workplace for both Nike employees and the temporary workforce employed at the distribution center. This position is also responsible for monitoring State regulations to ensure Nike is actively involved in emerging issues and poised to address new and modified regulations. This position is part of a larger global EHS and Resilience team at Nike.
- Manages the resiliency program for the Nike DCs
- Facilitates emergency response protocols for the Nike DCs
- Manages the direction and execution of all safety programs and policies
- Conducts safety training and awareness sessions for Nike employees
- Provides safety for Nike DC events
- Responds to incidents and conducts investigations as required
- Maintains a current working knowledge of EH&S regulations and laws
- Participates as Nike representative in global EHS programs and initiatives, which includes contributing to program development. Introduce, educate and provide training on global programs and processes as appropriate
- Continuously drives improvement in health and safety measures
- Assist in preparing required plans and appropriate facility operating procedures
- Serves as facility contact for federal, state and regional health and safety agencies
- Facilitates internal audits and self-assessments. Assists operations in addressing audit recommendations.
- Participates in accident investigations, performs root cause analysis for all injuries and "near misses," train operations supervisors to conduct thorough investigations and root cause analysis
- Maintain knowledge of all applicable corporate, federal, state and local health and safety regulatory requirements. Stay abreast of developing regulatory requirements, particularly on a state and local level. Keep operations informed of new and developing regulations.
- This position may require working extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends, and holidays, to respond to incidents or as otherwise needed
- This position works in a dynamic industrial environment and requires the ability to walk and work in all parts of the distribution warehouse and outside during all weather conditions, as necessary to perform the function of the role.
- Bachelor's degree in Occupational / Industrial Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Engineering, Environmental Science, Emergency Management or related field
- 2 years additional experience in lieu of a Bachelor's degree
- Certification in an EH&S related discipline and/or further education is a plus.
- 3 years practical experience with health and safety compliance at a large global company with world class safety programs. Warehouse experience is a plus.
- Detailed knowledge of OSHA and EPA regulations and their state equivalents as well as other applicable industry environmental, health and safety standards
- Demonstrated ability to develop all facets of successful and sustainable safety programs
- Proficiency in conducting safety investigations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage federal, state and local regulatory compliance.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and thoroughly audit facilities as well as assist in addressing audit findings
- Demonstrated ability to manage OSHA recordkeeping and H&S metrics
- Demonstrated ability to effectively train personnel live and computer based systems
- Proven teamwork skills with demonstrated abilities to both work collaboratively and to influence those with whom no formal hierarchical relationship exists
- Highly effective written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent problem solving techniques and quantitative, analytical skills
- Strong decision making skills and attentive to details, work well under pressure and able to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work at all levels of the organization and with people of various backgrounds, experience, and education levels
- Ability to organize and manage a complex workload and projects in a fast paced environment
- Ability to embrace change, and promote other's ideas, motivate employees, build and maintain trusting relationships and stay focused.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office and an ERP database platform (e.g. SAP, SharePoint )