Director of Engineering - Savage Arms
About the Job
Join our talented team. Employees at Vista Outdoor are passionate and committed to delivering quality products to our customers. Our culture centers on an engaged and accountable workforce. Our goal is to attract and retain a diverse workforce: rich in talent, background, ideas and experience.
Responsibilities and Qualifications
Our founding fathers didn't mess around. They anticipated a future challenge and dealt with it a couple hundred years in advance. At Savage Arms , this spirit of American, get-it done ingenuity has always been our driving force.
Responsible for the direction and control of all engineering functions. Duties include development and recommendations of policy, methods and procedures, management of operations, supervision of personnel and other similar duties pertaining to engineering management.
- BS in Engineering Discipline with MS preferred
- 10+ years engineering experience with 5+ years managing in a Manufacturing environment
Duties require effective verbal and written communication skills, visual acuity to both written material and computer screen data, and effective interpersonal skills, and the physical ability to work and move in factory environment.
- Direct and control the operations of the engineering functions. Develop, recommend, implement, monitor and ensure that policies, methods, and procedures for each operation area are being followed.
- Continually evaluate the engineering process and impact on the overall operation.
- Provide insight and vision as to the strategic direction for the technical and design aspects of the product.
- Develop both long and short term goals and objectives for the department and individuals. Ensure proper staffing of the units and training for individuals.
- Maintain and ensure the integrity and safety of engineering plans, processes and designs.
- Develop annual budget requests and administer approved budget for the department, programs and projects.
- Provide effective project management to assure that identified tasks and projects are properly organized, planned, executed and reported. Provide technical and operations guidance to subordinates; establish priorities and time lines. Monitor projects and ensure timely and accurate completion.
- Review project work to ensure specifications are met. Participate in and/or handle engineering projects of a complex nature. Allocate personnel resources to ensure all routine and high priority work is accomplished.
- Maintain a working liaison with other departments. Provide effective support, communication and assistance with the inspection, manufacturing, materials and service functions of the organization, to permit focused and effective results.
- Perform other similar duties inherent to the position of Director of Engineering or as requested and required by the VP Operations.
SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
Physical Requirements: Employee will be sitting the majority of the time, with some walking and standing. Minor lifting objects over 10 lbs., carrying, stooping, and kneeling to access books and reports, transport paperwork and materials, and to retrieve files. Some local travel. Manual dexterity for extensive computer work and writing. Hearing, speaking, and vision are required (with or without correction).
Mental Requirements: Must communicate effectively in verbal and written formats. Reading comprehension and intermediate math skills are a requirement. Flexibility to effectively deal with a variety of people and situations and to handle interruptions and multiple tasks simultaneously. Quick thinking and problem solving to readily assimilate information. Ability to maintain tact and highly professional manners. Initiative to effectively complete tasks. The ability to identify and appropriately handle confidential information.
Working Environment: Work is done in an office environment, with some time spent in the manufacturing plant. This exposure subjects incumbents to temperature changes, dirt, dust, noise, vibration, moving objects and mechanical parts, machine tool lubricant mists, equipment and explosive hazards. Co-worker support, guidance and reinforcement are readily available.
We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including: medical and dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401K, PTO, tuition reimbursement, and the ability to add value to an exciting mission!
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veteran/Disabled