Sr. Industrial Designer
About the Job
The Senior Industrial Designer will lead and support Industrial Design initiatives within a product team, for all manner of products; including bicycle frames, equipment, components, and more.
This Lead Designer is detail oriented with an elevated sense of Design, and has extensive experience bringing products successfully from concept to production. A great listener and creative problem solver, this designer thrives while working either independently, or collaboratively within a cross-functional team of Product Managers, Engineers, Developers, Graphic Designers, and external partners to design, innovate, and deliver industry-leading products that perform to the highest quality standards, and represent the Specialized Brand.
This designer will also work collaboratively within The Design Group to elevate design at Specialized, as well as provide design leadership within product teams, and guidance for Junior Designers & ID Interns.
- Exceptional Portfolio, demonstrating:
- Examples of products created from concept to production, and with successful introduction to market
- Excellent sketching & ideation skills, with superior visual communication and presentation abilities
- Proficiency with 3d CAD software & advanced surface modeling is a must; PTC Creo is strongly preferred
- Proficiency with 2d & 3d rendering software to quickly create photo realistic imagery (Photoshop, Illustrator, Keyshot)
- Strong model making skills: ability to quickly mock-up concepts, prototypes, from concept to finished appearance model
- Self-motivated, with strong problem-solving skills, a keen design sensibility, and a high attention to detail
- Highly organized: Ability to deliver top quality work in a fast-paced, open team environment, while working on multiple projects in varying levels of development
- Flexibility: Able to work on projects that may change scope or parameters and still meet deadlines.
- Strong communication, and leadership skills: Comfortable leading, mentoring, and coaching more junior designers & interns
- Innate ability to connect with customers; must be knowledgeable and acutely aware of emerging trends in design, technologies, and demographic, market & consumer research.
- Demonstrated passion for cycling or action sports in any form (work related, or personal passion)
- Occasional International & Domestic travel required
What you'll need to win
- BFA or BSID from accredited Industrial Design program
- 5+ years experience in product development and/or Industrial Design-related field
- Extremely detail oriented, passionate designer with elevated design sensibilities
- Design for manufacture: proficient knowledge of manufacturing processes for metals, composites, plastics and more (including machining, forging, molding for composites, injection molding, 3d printing, etc.)
- Proficient knowledge of branding and how to lead the creation of products that connect with customers, and are representative of their respective brand and/or category
- Candidate must be self-driven, exceptional at collaboration, and have demonstrated experience leading projects from concept to production, and integrating Industrial Design initiatives within a cross-functional product development process.
- 3+ years of experience in the Bicycle industry is strongly preferred
- Experience working with outside vendors, especially in Asia