Senior DevOps Engineer
About the Job
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That's because we're always finding new ways to interact with fans - however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
An employee filling the role of Senior DevOps Engineer, will be responsible for activities that ensure the quality, reliability, and stability of ESPN's production systems and services that power the fan experience. These activities include the design and specification of technical infrastructure that facilitates the integration of software development and delivery from inception to full operation. As a Senior member of the engineering team, an employee filling this role would be responsible for developing the technical implementations for fault tolerance, performance enhancement, and configuration management of applications, and may be expected to lead in the implementation of the solutions.
The Senior DevOps Engineer will also spend a significant amount of time in guided exploration of new technologies and solutions that are applicable to the short, medium, and long run goals of ESPN's Technology group. This position offers the opportunity and responsibility to contribute to the development of the future of ESPN's Technology platforms. Responsibilities
- Activities to ensure the quality, reliability and stability of production systems and services.
- Leads engagement with software developers and infrastructure engineers to integrate software development and delivery from inception to full operation, ensuring robust released software and systems, typically for high traffic services or key infrastructure.
- Leads in the analysis of technical requirements of applications to ensure systems provide required availability, latency, scalability and efficiency.
- Develops the technical "vision" for fault tolerance, performance enhancement and configuration management of applications, and may lead in implementation.
- Advises infrastructure team regarding current and future systems needs and repercussions of infrastructure changes.
- May participate in the development of infrastructure and platform roadmaps.
- Leads the release of new software and systems, typically for high traffic services or key infrastructure.
- Expert proficiency in Linux system administration.
- Expert proficiency in deploying Cloud based infrastructure.
- Expert proficiency in modern SCM packages (Puppet and/or Chef, etc.).
- Advanced to Expert proficiency in programming languages (Python, Java, Ruby, C/C++, Node.JS, Bash etc), database technologies (Oracle, MySQL, Redis), and networking protocols used for the implementation of supported systems
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively complex related experience.
- Experience writing, maintaining and deploying RESTful services
- Experience troubleshooting and using build tools (Gradle, Maven, Make)
- Knowledge of modern cloud architectures
- Experience collecting and analyzing metrics to improve software and process quality
- B.S. in Computer Science in a related technical field or equivalent experience.
- Master's degree in a relevant field
Additional Information ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.